Today I will share a recent project, a new blouse that I copied from an old beloved blouse that wore out. I wish I had a picture of the old blouse before I took it apart, but I didn’t think of it. One of my favorite things about this blouse was the button band with 16 small loops. Sure, it was a pain to take on and off, but I loved the look of it.
I got the black striped cotton blend fabric at Joann, but since it was a little bit too sheer, I underlined it with some black poly/cotton batiste.
I made a slight fitting change, just gave myself a little extra room at the sides, because the old blouse was always a bit snug for me.
For the button loops, I started with the front and back pieces of the band itself. These were identical pieces, except that the front band was interfaced. On the front button band (right side up), I marked with pins where the loops should begin and end, and then marked the seam allowance line in chalk:
To make the loops, I cut a couple of pieces of fabric on the bias, about 1 3/4″ x 20″. I folded them in half, right sides together, and stitched about 1/4″ from the fold, then trimmed very close to the seam. Using my turner, I turned them right side out.
Then I cut 18 pieces (2 for the sleeves) at about 1 5/8″ each
I then carefully pinned all the loops in place raw edges lined up with the raw edge of the band, spaced equidistantly.
I machine basted this and double checked that they looked OK. At this point, I should have tested them with the buttons, but I hadn’t bought the buttons yet! I might have noticed that a couple of them would fit loosely around the button, and maybe could have adjusted the loops. Oh well, this was a learning experience. I then sewed the back button band to the front button band, right sides together, and then moved on with the construction of the blouse. Once the band was attached to the blouse and pressed, this is how it looked:
And here is the completed blouse!